Saturday, December 5, 2009

Deck the Halls!

Some people may accuse me of taking 'the cowards way out' this Christmas, but I'm NOT sorry! At least, I hope I won't be sorry. With Jared as my fifth child I am VERY WELL acquainted with the mischief that Christmas decorations inspire in toddlers.
They're like sharks in a feeding frenzy
tearing open wrapping...
chewing on electrical cords...
dismantling ornaments...
entangling themselves in lights...
thrashing the stockings...
and knocking down the tree... again... and again... and again!

Now, my other children were born much earlier in the calendar year than Jared, so once they were mobile for Christmas, there were months of extra maturity. That meant the fifth time-out for abusing the tree sunk into their wee-little consciousnesses, and the frenzy subsided. I'm convinced that my busy little Jare-bear won't 'get it' this year.

He's already notorious for knocking down the ficus trees in the living room and he thinks it's hilarious whenever I tell him 'NO.' The full-sized Christmas Tree (and it's ornaments) would not survive him this year.

The Proposal:
Scene: sitting around the dinner table the day after Thanksgiving.

Me: You guys, we need to talk about something. I've given it a lot of thought and I think that we should NOT put up our regular Christmas Tree this year.
Everyone: What! No! Why not? Etc.
Me: Now hear me out. I'd like to put up a small tree instead; one that can be placed out of reach from Jared. I just don't think he'll be able to leave the tree alone this year, and I don't want to spend the Christmas season fighting him off of it.

The Negotiation:
Matt: Well then, I'd like to get a REAL tree. I miss the smell of a real pine tree in the house.
Me: Okay, I think I can find a small one.
Matt: I think we need to set a budget; .
Me: Okay... do you think $30 is reasonable?
Matt: Yeah, but I don't want to spend more than $30 on this.
Lauren: And I think it should have colorful lights.
Me: Okay, we have a couple strands like that in storage.
Max, Gabe, & Zach: Can we decorate it?
Me: Yes, the kids can hang ALL the ornaments.
Lauren: Can I put on the ornaments I made?
Me: Absolutely! Listen, I promise I will do my best to let everyone have what they've asked for. PLEASE, let's do this JUST FOR THIS YEAR, and then next year he'll be old enough to control himself around the tree.

* They agree*

THE HUNT:
I was surprised by how many places no longer sell live Christmas trees or their stands!
On a random errand to Rite Aid this week, I found an adorable little Noble Fur for $19.95, but I skipped buying the stand because I thought I could get a better deal somewhere else.
Three stores later... no luck. I went back to Rite Aid for a stand on sale for $7. Spent $2 on some ribbon and came in under budget. YES!

DECKING THE HALLS:
Saturday morning was filled with Christmas Spirit. Matt and Max were collecting food with the Young Men organization to donate to the Food Bank (collected more than expected - awesome!) The kids saw the tree and said, "That's not a small tree; that tree is BIG!" Matt has named the tree "Tiny Tim." Love it! While Jared napped, the older kids pulled out the 5 totes of Christmas decorations, and I quickly strung the 'colorful' lights. The tree and stand were too large for the table I had in mind, so we placed it on the fireplace hearth where the giant ottoman could block Jare-bear's access to the tree. Lauren & I decorated the mantle, Gabe helped hang stockings, all the kids hung ornaments, and we snuggled on the couch to read half a dozen Christmas stories.


And then Jared woke up...


Okay, so the position of the tree needed a few more adjustments, but I think it'll work. And no one can say I didn't TRY!
I just want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and I hope the Christmas Spirit is spreading through your home too, no matter how you deck your halls. Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

  1. That tree is HUGE :) bigger than ours right now...I'm waiting till we can get some ornaments. I left EVERYTHING, but our fake tree in Utah...AAAGGGHHhhhh!!!

    I love your stories, you tell them so well...I'm glad it all panned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Candace, Merry Christmas!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Negotiations at the Wright house sound like the full deal. Was a contract signed? Should have been. :) Great job on the bargains, the decor, the darling idea to keep your mischeivious one safe this year. You are veteran mom! I'll be coming to you for tips!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...