Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lauren & the DISTRICT Science Fair...

The District Science Fair was today.
6 1/2 hours of check-in, set-up,
judging without students present,
judging with students present,
open house to the public and then the awards ceremony.
And don't ask me how I managed to squeeze in dinner, kid's homework, and 2 1/2 hours of shuttling kids to and from the fair and piano lessons...
CHAOS!!!
We didn't get home until 10 o'clock, but it was all worth it.
Nearly 300 projects were entered into the District Fair and
40 students received honorable mentions with another 50 winners selected to go to the
Regional Science and Engineering Fair.
I sat snuggled with Lauren throughout the awards ceremony and as awards were announced, Lauren leaned over to me and said,
"I'll be happy if I win or if I just get an honorable mention."
I asked, "But you won't be happy if you don't win something at all?"
She thought about it for a second...
and looked at me with her big brown eyes and shook her head as though her little heart would be utterly broken if she didn't get any recognition for her work.
I told her, "Lauren, we're so proud of you for being here! You should feel really great about even coming to the district fair."
She nodded appreciatively, but her heart was totally set on more.
Each award was announced by announcing the school,
then the child's name, and then the project title.
EVERY TIME her school was mentioned, my stomach would clench and
I sat begging in my mind, "Please say Lauren next, PLEASE say Lauren!"
We watched over half a dozen of Lauren's friends called to the stage as honorable mentions and winners.
(Which was awesome, by the way, because last year not a single student from their school was chosen for any awards. So a BIG congrats to all of the those students -
you have done your school proud!)
However, every name called seemed to make Lauren's chances seem more and more slim.
80 projects - 80 of the 90 had been awarded at this point and the award ceremony was almost over.
I was in agony... I can only imagine what Lauren was thinking.
And finally...
HER SCHOOL...
HER NAME!!!

Lauren's project was one of the 50 winners!

Congratulations Lauren!

We are so proud of you! And happy for you!
And delighted with the perma-grin you've been wearing since your name was announced!
(She was stilling grinning from ear-to-ear when I tucked her into bed at 10:30)

Special thanks to Grandma Hunny and Grandpa who took the time to come down and show their support for Lauren. (FYI: I've since learned that my Mom was a science fair winner too. I had NO idea! Way to blaze the trail Grandma!)
And Best of Luck to our girl!



6 comments:

  1. Congrats, Lauren! Candace I think I'll just copy and paste your post on to mine then change a few words because you just described what every mother and child feels through this whole science fair process. I remember holding my breathe and silently pleading last year as the names were called, we didn't end up as victorious as Lauren. Sydney was on the edge of her seat hoping and praying until the last name was called, then I saw her body slump and the disappointment wash over her. It was so hard to watch even though she was being so mature about it I hated to see her disappointed. It was with trepidation that I went to this years science fair(BTW:Seriously, could they make that day anymore crazy?!)anyways...I was relieved to no end when I heard Syd's name called this year. That ear to ear grin make it all worth it!
    Congrats again to Lauren, GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Congrats Lauren! Reading this brought back memories of when I was a 5th grader at Orem Elementary and my science fair project went to the district level. But Lauren made it a step farther then me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO AWESOME!!! Congratulations Lauren!! And Candace, you are super-mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...I felt so much pride just reading that post! Congrats Lauren! We love you and wish we could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Lauren, or should I call you Dr. Lauren? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Lauren! Good luck at BYU!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...