Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Parenting Pyramid

I had to share an article that my friend, Marie, posted on her blog. (Just click the link below)

The Parenting Pyramid

This parenting article is from the Arbinger Institute about the foundation of effective parenting and how to use this pyramid to increase the effectiveness of our own parenting.

It's an easy read - about 7 1/2 pages - and worth every minute of your time!

I'm tempted to make more commentary on this article now, but it's so well written, that I don't any of my commentary to be a "spoiler:"  I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, and I'd love to "discuss" the article more fully through comments. What are YOUR THOUGHTS about this article?

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked this article. I have portions of it posted to my wall to remind me to focus on helping things go right, rather than what to do when things go wrong. Instead of correcting in the moment I have been trying to pause and think instead.
    I think this idea goes along well with Pres. Packer's quote:"I have long believed that the study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than talking about behavior will improve behavior." And I think the doctrine of charity "our personal way of being" is the doctrine to study. What do you think?
    By the way...this is Marie...it won't let me post from my account for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, I really did love this article. The "way of being" I thought of as our character, our skills at communication and the example we set for our kids. However, I can see your point about charity. Being a truly charitable person would be the most effective "way of being" in any relationship.

    My experience as a parent has taught me a lot about the upper levels of the pyramid from discipline to teaching to the relationship with the child, and I even understand the "way of being," especially as our example to our children. Do you know the quote, "Your actions speak so loudly, that I cannot hear your words."

    The one element in this pyramid that surprised me was the relationship between the parents and how it affects the kids. When I stop to think about it, it isn't surprising at all, but you don't ever read or hear about the parents relationship and treatment of each other in these types or parenting/ discipline books. Most self-help articles and books keep the topics completely separate. There are marriage and romantic relationship books, and then there are parenting books. And they don't discuss the effect that one relationship has on another. I just think it was good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayla CookAugust 20, 2011

    Based on my lifes experiences, this article is very true . It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...