So, when this book was published in 2005, I snatched up a copy IMMEDIATELY.
It has a plan... THE PLAN.

I've heard this book described as "the instruction manual that the hospital should give you when your child is born!" The fact remains that teaching kids to work is actually a lot harder than just doing it yourself. It takes more effort, more patience, and more time, but that's what being a great parent is all about. And I love, Love, LOVE having a great plan to work from.
Sister Boyack (Mother of 4 sons) paints a clear picture of how children gain real self-esteem and confidence by being able to do things on their own.
She says, "Let's begin with the end in mind. Pull out a piece of paper and write on it, "How I want my children to turn out... What basic things do you want your children to know and be? Write at least five main goals or results. This part of The Plan is absolutely crucial. You will be spending many hours of many days doing things that seem trivial or pointless, and you have to have the end goal firmly in mind to get yourself through them. So when you're teaching your daughter for the umpteenth time how to thoroughly clean a toilet, you can say to yourself, "We're training an independent adult here, THIS IS IMPORTANT." Besides, just think how desirable your kids will be! Trust me, they'll be irresistible! I already have parents lining up their daughters for my sons because they know they can take care of a car, whip up a meal, garden, and clean the blessed toilet!"The Plan breaks things down by age from Three Years Old to Eighteen Years Old.
Samples from The Plan:
Six Years Old | Ten Years Old | 14-15 Years Old |
Take Shower | Do own laundry completely | Do basic interior decorating |
Dust | Set personal goals | Understand basic food storage |
Load Dishwasher | Play Musical Instrument | Memorize Social Security number |
Empty Dishwasher | Maintain personal journal | Understand and use a debit card |
Clean Sinks | Participate in exercise program | Learn interest, debt, securities |
Run Microwave | Rent videos | Learn about make-up (girls!) |
Water Plants | Clean stove & oven | Identify business skills to get experience with sales |
Make/Answer Phone Calls | Make several salads | Learn basic civics & politics |
Understand basic nutrition | Accompany a parent to vote | |
Use a leaf blower | Perform thorough car detailing | |
Plant plants | Change flat tire. | |
Place a collect call | ||
Use a pay phone | ||
Know Articles of Faith |
The plan is flexible, you can cater it to your families needs and values, but boy, DOES IT GET YOU THINKING!!! A couple of years ago, I typed up The Plan, tweaked it for our family, and made a copy for each child to use as a check list for keeping us on track.
The book offers tips on how to train the kids, how long it takes them to learn, when to train, by whom (you don't have to do it all yourself,) and how to dump your guilt and just get to it. I really like that part because this last year with toddler Jared, Matt starting his own business, and the kids all going to a new school, have knocked us a bit off course. But blogging like this helps me refocus, and I'm already feeling very motivated to get us back on The Plan. ; D

http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Breakthrough
I have really been enjoying your blog lately. Thank you for informative, helpful entries...I especially liked your laundry post and this one. I want to read this book and maybe I'll blog about my experiences trying your suggestions!
ReplyDeleteScott already ordered this book on amazon for me. I am such a copy-cat! But, what can I say, I want to be just like you!!!
ReplyDelete