Last Friday
Max's "Daddy Donut's Day" was held last Friday in Max's kindergarten class. Matt arranged to be in town for it, and they had a BLAST. The Dad's got a quick review of what the kids have learned this year and donuts were served. Max showed his Dad around his classroom and introduced him to his friends (Matt's comment: "Boy! Max has a LOT of friends." - But of course, I'm convinced that everyone must love Max :D) and then they went outside and had recess together. So FUN! Max has been looking forward to this for weeks, and Matt came home delighted.
As we drove home from our Spring Break Trip on Sunday, we were listening to conference talks in the car, and we heard Elder Oaks talk about "Good, Better & Best." He spoke about a family who had some wonderful BIG experiences (kind of like our trip,) but when the father asked his son what was his favorite thing about that summer the boy said, "I loved it when you and I looked at the stars and talked." Elder Oaks was pointing out that nothing beats one-on-one time with a parent, and I think that Daddy Donuts Day was that kind of moment for Matt & Max.
Matt said, "I'm SO glad I made arrangements to come." Me too.
Matt said, "I'm SO glad I made arrangements to come." Me too.
Saturday: Easter Celebration
At our house, the Easter Bunny visits on the Friday before Easter. That way we keep the fun, egg hunt part on Saturday and focus on the real meaning of Easter on Sunday.
Max takes after me because Easter is his FAVORITE holiday.
He LOVES to color eggs, eat eggs, and who
doesn't love a treasure hunt for CHOCOLATE!
When I was a kid, these were my favorite things about Easter,
but now it's my favorite holiday for it's REAL meaning in my life.
Easter Sunday
was spent as a family.
After church, we had a simple dinner and later that night we watched a really fascinating documentary titled, "Dragons or Dinosaurs." It's a series of interviews with these scientists (geologist, chemist, biologist, sociologist, historians etc.) who also are Christians, and they talk about the scientific evidence that supports the idea of creation instead of evolution, evidence of Noah's flood, and evidence that dinosaurs co-existed with humans and are really the dragons spoken of by historians and in the Bible. It has slow in the beginning, but it gets really interesting! I highly recommend it.
Max was throwing up throughout the night,
so I begin the rest of this whirlwind week with little sleep.
Monday & Tuesday:
These days are a blur of activity. Matt flew to Atlanta at 1 am on Monday, and I was SWAMPED with lots of cleaning and laundry, sick Max and building Zach's pinewood derby car.
We had to have the car ready for the weigh-in on Tuesday night.
On Tuesday afternoon, Lauren called me from school to ask permission to run for Student Body Vice President. Oh yah... and the campaign ran from Wednesday to Friday. So, can you guess what we were doing into the wee hours of the night? That's right, making posters, flyers and stickers. This is the campaign slogan Lauren came up with: Next year will be SWEET with Lauren as Vice President! And she passed out candy as she met people and asked for their vote.
Grandma Hunny was heaven sent when she showed up to watch Max's soccer game Tuesday evening. She ended up taking him to his game, so I could finish the derby car with Zach, get it weighed, throw dinner together and move onto the campaign prep. Gma Hunny even donated huge bags of candy for the campaign ... boy, we're happy she works for Hershey's candy company.
Thanks Again, Gma Hunny!
Wednesday
I spent the morning preparing decorations and the pre-race activities for the pinewood derby.
I picked the kids up from school, and drove the boys straight to piano lessons. Lauren's first day of campaigning went well. She needed more stickers to pass out so we made more of those and I raced across town to pick up pizza and the boys.
While I was busy with Lauren, Max had asked to play with Britton and Talon, so he'd been gone for an hour when I called their house to have Max come home...
NO MAX!!! In fact, they claimed they hadn't seen him.
He wasn't at Benjamin's...
Not at Tyler's...
Not at Michael's....
Who's left in the neighborhood?!?!?
Adam and Spencer's? He's never gone there before.
Sure enough. That's where he was.
So this panicked mother saw to it that he made it home and started dinner, while I ran to the church to set up for the Derby. (Oh, and Max is grounded from friends for a while)
I admit it. I'm a nervous wreck at the Pinewood Derby's.
I put so much time and work into these cars.
Zach and I have studied Derby Guides,
and spent hours choosing the design, filing axles, polishing wheels, baking and
cutting wood, and working to achieve the perfect weight.
This is Zach's last race as a cub scout, and he REALLY wanted to be among the top 3. He wanted it even more when he saw that for the first time, the top three racers would be getting trophies.
![]() |
| Coloring Eggs & Zach's Egyptian Chicken Dance |
Easter Sunday
was spent as a family.
After church, we had a simple dinner and later that night we watched a really fascinating documentary titled, "Dragons or Dinosaurs." It's a series of interviews with these scientists (geologist, chemist, biologist, sociologist, historians etc.) who also are Christians, and they talk about the scientific evidence that supports the idea of creation instead of evolution, evidence of Noah's flood, and evidence that dinosaurs co-existed with humans and are really the dragons spoken of by historians and in the Bible. It has slow in the beginning, but it gets really interesting! I highly recommend it.
Max was throwing up throughout the night,
so I begin the rest of this whirlwind week with little sleep.
Monday & Tuesday:
These days are a blur of activity. Matt flew to Atlanta at 1 am on Monday, and I was SWAMPED with lots of cleaning and laundry, sick Max and building Zach's pinewood derby car.
We had to have the car ready for the weigh-in on Tuesday night.
On Tuesday afternoon, Lauren called me from school to ask permission to run for Student Body Vice President. Oh yah... and the campaign ran from Wednesday to Friday. So, can you guess what we were doing into the wee hours of the night? That's right, making posters, flyers and stickers. This is the campaign slogan Lauren came up with: Next year will be SWEET with Lauren as Vice President! And she passed out candy as she met people and asked for their vote.
Grandma Hunny was heaven sent when she showed up to watch Max's soccer game Tuesday evening. She ended up taking him to his game, so I could finish the derby car with Zach, get it weighed, throw dinner together and move onto the campaign prep. Gma Hunny even donated huge bags of candy for the campaign ... boy, we're happy she works for Hershey's candy company.
Thanks Again, Gma Hunny!
Wednesday
I spent the morning preparing decorations and the pre-race activities for the pinewood derby.
I picked the kids up from school, and drove the boys straight to piano lessons. Lauren's first day of campaigning went well. She needed more stickers to pass out so we made more of those and I raced across town to pick up pizza and the boys.
While I was busy with Lauren, Max had asked to play with Britton and Talon, so he'd been gone for an hour when I called their house to have Max come home...
NO MAX!!! In fact, they claimed they hadn't seen him.
He wasn't at Benjamin's...
Not at Tyler's...
Not at Michael's....
Who's left in the neighborhood?!?!?
Adam and Spencer's? He's never gone there before.
Sure enough. That's where he was.
So this panicked mother saw to it that he made it home and started dinner, while I ran to the church to set up for the Derby. (Oh, and Max is grounded from friends for a while)
I admit it. I'm a nervous wreck at the Pinewood Derby's.
I put so much time and work into these cars.
Zach and I have studied Derby Guides,
and spent hours choosing the design, filing axles, polishing wheels, baking and
cutting wood, and working to achieve the perfect weight.
This is Zach's last race as a cub scout, and he REALLY wanted to be among the top 3. He wanted it even more when he saw that for the first time, the top three racers would be getting trophies.
His first heat... 1st place
Second Heat... 1st place
Third Heat... 1st place
Fourth heat... 1st place
They identified the 4 fastest cars and those cars raced each other 4 times....
Final result: Zach's Car "The Reflection" wins third.
YAY!!!!
There was only 1 point difference between the second and third place cars. So close!
Zach also recieved a slew of awards he's been earning since becoming a Webelos.
Zach also recieved a slew of awards he's been earning since becoming a Webelos.
Zach wanted to celebrate with a trip to Krispy Kreme and upon arriving home, he said, "Oh, by the way Mom, I have a book report project due tomorrow."
WHAT!?!?
I'd had him write the book report on Monday, and simply thought it was due on Friday. Oops!
So another late night was spent getting the poster and his presentation ready. sigh.
Will I ever get some sleep?
Thursday:
You heard my flat tire sob story on Thursday. We piled in the van and were pulling out of the drive way when I had that sinking feeling AGAIN... we've got a flat tire. The bolt was still in the hole, so the leak was slow enough that I could refill the tire and take the kids to school. On the way back from school, I stopped at Macey's to pick up 3 dozen donuts for the school's Birthday Club Celebration I was running that afternoon, and drove straight to Discount Tire Co. The waiting room was swamped. I've never seen it so full, so Jared and I walked the strip mall for an hour as we waited for them to fix the tire. They finished in just enough time for me to run home, grab the B-day club supplies, drop Jared off at the sitters, and arrive at the school without a second to lose. Whew!
After Birthday Club, I took Max and Jared home, put them straight the shower ('cause Jared had really enjoyed the sandbox at Lisa's) and put them down for naps.
Much to my surprise, my neighbor Marie, arrives on my doorstep. She's moving and prepping a yard sale, but was offering me any baby girl clothes I'd like, if I would just come look through the boxes at her house. HOORAY!!! I had twenty minutes to go through 6 boxes & bags of fun clothes and take what I'd like. It was SO fun! Baby girl things are adorable!
Thank you! Thank you, Marie!!!
Zach & Gabe both had soccer games that night. Grandpa & Grandma Hunny came to watch too.
The boys always love playing for an audience.
After tucking the boys in bed, Lauren and I were working on her campaign speech which turned into a skit. And Matt arrived home, late that evening.
Friday:
I went to the school, to help Lauren set up for her skit and show some moral support.
She got a lot of compliments on the skit, but alas...
She didn't win the race. sigh.
She's handling it like a champ though. She said her favorite parts of the experience were,
meeting new people, passing out candy, and doing the skit.
Matt and I are so proud of her for trying.
I hope we have a family culture that says, "GIVE IT A SHOT!
Win or lose, we still love you, and there are great things to learn not matter the outcome."
My friend Stephanie and I were talking about how this time of year is more insane and jam-packed than the Holidays. INSANELY busy is a fair description for this week, but it was still filled with good things.
I have to run now. We're still doing our Friday Clean-up,
and I have to bake something for the Boy Scout Bake Sale tonight.







No comments:
Post a Comment