Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Homemade Pizza Night

I've been wanting to try these two new recipes for a while, I got them from my friend's blog (Thank you, Jesse!) When Lauren helped me plan the meals for this week, she asked for a homemade pizza night. We decided to make both the regular pizza for dinner and a fruit pizza for dessert. This was the result:

Regular Pizza Crust
*Makes one large or two small crusts.
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 Tbsp yeast
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
Combine water, yeast and sugar and allow the yeast to develop for a couple of minutes. Add oil, salt and flour. Knead for 7-8 minutes until smooth. Let the dough rest for 8-10 minutes. Roll out onto a greased  pan, and spread with sauce, cheese and your favorite toppings. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-13 minutes, or until crust is light brown and cheese has melted.

*We really liked this pizza crust! It's so simple. The dough is easier to work with than my previous recipe, and it was very tasty. I used a double batch to make this cookie sheet sized pizza, but the dough was a bit too thick. The kids loved it anyway, but next time, I'll try a 1 1/2 sized batch.

Fruit Pizza
*Makes at least 12+ slices
  • CRUST
  • 1 Yellow cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup,) melted
Mix these ingredients and roll out dough onto a pizza pan that is covered with wax paper and sprayed with cooking oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before adding frosting and fruit.
  • FROSTING
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cups powdered sugar
  • 4 oz whipped topping
Whisk these ingredients together and spread over cooled crust.
Add your favorite FRUIT TOPPINGS: Bananas, mandarin oranges, kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.

*I liked these ease of this crust, but it was EXTREMELY rich. Lauren & I couldn't finish our slices because it was too rich. Some good things about the crust were it's flexibility, it sliced easily, served easily and didn't fall to pieces when you took a bite. I loved the frosting and the toppings we used, but I think I might experiment with the crust. I'll either try replacing some of the butter with water next time or try a different sugar cookie recipe.

Overall, the pizza night was a big hit.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh....that looks yummy. We have homemade pizza parties with our extended family and I think we need to add that dessert pizza to the menu! It looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pizzas look amazing and I'm so happy my recipes were helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...