Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Break Surprise!

Weeks ago, Matt and the kids were seated around the breakfast table on a Saturday morning, when Matt threw out this question, 
"So kids, where would you rather go for Spring Break? 
a) to San Deigo to spend time with Grandma Barbara and go to Sea World, the Beach and the Zoo?
or
b) to Disneyland for 3 days?"

I'm standing in the kitchen flipping pancakes and thinking, 
"What!?! We haven't discussed this? What are you talking about?"

You see, this is the way our family works... 
Matt is "Fun Daddy"... Idea Man... Visionary...
And I'm the researcher, planner, detail-oriented cog-turner, 
who usually brings the vision to reality.
I need him to lighten me up. He needs me to keep us anchored.
Somehow, we manage to balance each other out.

Matt likes to throw ideas out for discussion.
The kids debated.
Matt conducted a vote. 
I flipped pancakes and picked my jaw up off the floor.
The decision was NOT unanimous, but San Diego won.
San Diego became the "PLAN."

Matt called his Mom (Grandma Barbara) to make arrangements.
I booked a hotel, priced out attraction tickets, read up on touring tips and made a budget.

Matt is this strange personality mix of Yellow and then Red.
He's methodical with his career work, but he likes to go big and be spontaneous with his fun.
The Color Code says, "If you want to reward a yellow... give him a vacation."
Or in this case... watch him hatch a vacation surprise.
 I don't know the exact date and time he hatched the NEW "secret plan," 
but it turned out to be one of the funnest things our family has done.
Matt let me in on the "secret plan" shortly before the trip.
"You know what I really want to do?" he said, "Let's do both vacation plans... We'll go to San Diego as planned, and then surprise the kids with a few days in Disneyland, and take 'em to Universal Studios too!"
Me: "Can you take that much time off?" 
Matt: "I've already talked to Gellis and made arrangements."
Hooray!!! We get more MUCH NEEDED family time!
I felt like a kid at Christmas.
Here's the Reader's Digest Version...
(*You can click on photos to view them more closely.)

Friday, April 8th
The kids and I drove to St. George and spent the night at my parents house.

Saturday, April 9th
We were back on the road early to reach San Diego in the afternoon. We met Matt shortly after his flight arrived from Atlanta, and then we headed for the beach. The weather was NOT nice. The locals at Coronado Beach were dressed in long pants and coats, while we played the role of the crazy tourists who showed up with 5 kids in swimsuits and goggles. Jared and I sat shivering on the shore bundled in towels while Matt the older kids dove into the crashing waves. The good news is that they weren't cold for long, because the human body goes numb VERY quickly in that kind of water. ;D
(Everyone survived without hypothermia.)
You'll notice rock-climbing-Gabe, Kelp-lassoing-Lauren, and Body-surfing-Zach (bottom corner)

Sunday, April 10th
We found a local ward for Church, and then had family downtime at the hotel.
Grandma Barbara joined us that evening.

Monday, April 11th
San Diego Zoo!
Gorgeous, fun, fascinating and so guest friendly!!! 
This zoo is littered with shady benches, and there are sky trams, buses and escalators to take you around the zoo, and ease your feet from the acres of walking. 
It was a perfect day!
Notice Jared's face (top right corner)

Skyfari Tram offered a spectacular view of the Zoo and San Diego itself.
Petting Zoo
A few of our Favorite Animals
Just Monkey-ing Around
 Tuesday, April 12th
Sea World!!! I've always loved Sea World, and I've wanted to take the kids there for years. The first order of business was to feed and pet a baby dolphin named Kally, then see the shows, exhibits, rides and playgrounds. Another FABULOUS Day!


Wednesday, April 13th (The BIG Surprise)
We've told the kids that we're going to spend the entire day driving home, 
when low and behold. We've gotten "LOST!" 
Yikes! 
Wait... What is that "Hollywood" sign on the mountain?
Where ARE we?
We pull up to the gates of Universal City and announce to the kids that we really aren't lost...
We just arrived at Universal Studios for the day.
WIDE EYES! 
"Really?!" they cry.
Cheers start erupting from the back of the van... Woo Hoo's!!!
Then a flood of questions about the things we can do at Universal.
"Will we get to see JAWS!" Max asks with a grin. 
"YEP!" I say.
*And he even had the PERFECT seat for it.

Universal is shutting down and we're walking toward the gates.
Zach: "Hey, we're going to have to get a hotel, 'cause there's no way we're driving home tonight!"
Matt: "Should we tell them now?"
Me: "Sure!" and I break out the 3-day passes to Disneyland.
WIDE EYES!!!
"Really?!" they cry.
BIG CHEERS & DANCING IN THE STREETS!!!
I tell the kids that they should thank Dad for this fun surprise - he orchestrated it.
The kids are chanting in the van, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! DADDY!!!!"

Thursday, April 14th - Saturday, April 16th
Disney, California Adventure & more Disney!
Matt hate this picture of himself, but we
both think Lauren's face is priceless!
Gabe Quote: (after five days of walking around theme parks) 
"Mom, I just don't BELIEVE in walking all day."
He sure didn't want to stop having fun, though ;D
Jared Quote: (BEGGING to ride California Screamin') 
"Mom, I go train! Train! Train! I go upside down." 
*I can never convince any of the older kids to take on this roller coaster with me. I finally have a child who wants to ride it, and I'm pregnant and Jared is 20 inches too short!


Sunday, April 17th
Driving and Driving and...
Basking in the glow of a GREAT, SUPER, AWESOME,
FUN-TASTIC, FAMILY VACATION!
Thank you sweetheart! What a spectacular surprise!

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful vacation. I am so happy you had such great family time together. I'm a little jealous too. Looked like a complete blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I'm glad you got to go! You really do have an awesome husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! I am SO glad you commented on my blog! I have been searching for your family's info! I went to the wright wrap up and obviously not there, emailed your husband at an old email, not there. Anyways, we have something we want to mail you if you could please email me @ rawtruegrit@hotmail.com and give me your address and info? THANKS! ps your family is adorable, you look like your enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought was, "What about the chickens?" :)
    What a FABULOUS trip!
    I am so happy you and your family were able to have such a fun vacation together. I love all of the surprises. How magical for your children. Definitely something that will be remembered forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL,Lisa! We hired a very responsible neighbor boy to take care of the chickens, mail, and garbage pick-up. He did a great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Just reading the post and seeing all the pictures made me want to be there with you guys! Next time you head down there...maybe we can meet you for a few days!
    We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...