Several things have come together to turn our attention to journal writing.
First, the kids have been receiving a journal from Grandma and Grandpa for their birthdays. Each journal was engraved with the child's name and in the front cover, there are pictures of the kids and Gma & Gpa along with a testimony of the importance of keeping a journal and prophets counsel to do it. Zach received his journal this February, so the kids finally all have one.
Second, our stake presidency issued a challenge regarding scripture study and recording what we learn in our journals.
And third, I found a great little article in the March Friend magazine called, Count Your Blessings based on a conference talk by Elder Eyring about recognizing the hand of God in your life and then recording your experiences in a journal.
I gave a Family Home Evening lesson using the Friend article at the beginning of March and restated the stake presidency's challenge. We gathered up the journals and found a place for them near our scriptures, and I told the kids that we will be including journal writing as part of our family devotional each night.
I've asked them to write at least 2 sentences:
1) How has the Lord blessed you or your family today?
2) What did you learn from scripture study tonight?
Of course, I invited them to elaborate on each of these or add more about the other things in their lives, but I thought it was best to start by asking for something small and with a clear focus.
It's funny to see each child's personality come out in regard to this. Zach approaches it like he does everything in life - just crank it out quickly and move on. Lauren, of course, likes to take her time and wants to write more about a variety of things like school, or draw artwork, or write about her daydreams or story ideas. Gabe doesn't want to have to sit still and write. And Max has his usual enthusiasm for most everything in life.
With Max, he and I step into another room and he dictates while I write. I realize how maturely he speaks, when we do this. I feel like I need to make a note somewhere in his journal stating that I do NOT change or elaborate on what he says - They are his words. But sometimes they sound so grown up for a five-year-old, I wonder if he'll believe he said these things one day.
It's fun to have more insight into how he thinks. At the end of one of his entries, he added, "I really like doing journals. It really is fun, and I really do love journal time."
He doesn't let us forget journal time either. If we finish scriptures study and one of the other kids says, "time for bed," Max will quickly correct them and say, "No! It's journal time!"
Because this has been so difficult for Gabe, I've started taking dictation for his entries too. He can write his own, of course, but I'm hoping that the one-on-one talking will help generate his ideas, and develop a better attitude about journals. It doesn't hurt to have a little extra attention from Mom either, and I'm also hoping that this whole exercise will help him identify and articulate his feelings a bit better.
Good stuff. We're learning as we go, but then again, that's one of the purposes of journal writing too.



No comments:
Post a Comment