![]() |
| The ramp leading to the roost. |
![]() |
| Jare-bear has already figured out how to get into the nesting box. Heaven help us when the eggs start coming! |
The coop took extra time to build because we had the nesting boxes built into the side of the roosting area. I've been waiting for Matt to be available to help me prep that yard and move the coop to its permanent location.
We've needed a new shed since the roof blew off our old one last fall. That's why masses of yard supplies and equipment have been crammed together in my carport all winter. But Matt insisted that we shouldn't simply re-roof or replace the small shed because we need more storage space - A LOT MORE.
He's right of course. If we're going to convert my craft room (I use that term loosely) into a bedroom for the older boys to accommodate bambino #6 upstairs, then the masses of stuff in the craft room need a new home.
Matt started scouting out sheds and then showed me what he had in mind.
This 10 x 16 monstrosity was bright red and bordered with white.
"That's not a shed," I said, "That's a barn!"
"It's not a barn!" he cried.
"Well, we've got the chickens," I said, "we may as well get the barn to go with 'em!"
He was a little affronted that I called it a barn, but after more shopping and price comparing, we went to purchase a shed and guess what the shed manufacturers call it...
A TALL BARN!!!
Haha!
Matt's come to terms with it, and now HE'S calling it "the barn" too. ;D
It will be installed on March 25th.
The configuration will be slightly different from what's pictured here, and I raided the manufacturer's supply of color swatches to figure out how we want it painted.
YES, it is a barn, but NO, it will NOT be fire engine red.
So my list of home-making projects this week includes assembling the composter, staining the garden beds (and maybe the playground,) assembling the garden beds, and scouting out paving stones to go around the garden beds and create a pathway to the shed door. It's an ambitious list, considering the fact that Lauren's School Play is this week, and I've got an old friend in town for a visit.
Ah well, it's good to have goals, because we farmers have to work from sun-up to sun-down. ;D
By the way, what time DOES the sun come up?
Oh ya, I have the chickens to tell me that - hahahahahahah!!!
In fact, we did a lot to further our new farming lifestyle on Saturday ;D
We tilled the earth...
bought a composter...
bought raised garden beds (for our square foot gardening plans,)...
installed the chicken coop...
Oh yah, and we bought a barn!
We've needed a new shed since the roof blew off our old one last fall. That's why masses of yard supplies and equipment have been crammed together in my carport all winter. But Matt insisted that we shouldn't simply re-roof or replace the small shed because we need more storage space - A LOT MORE.
He's right of course. If we're going to convert my craft room (I use that term loosely) into a bedroom for the older boys to accommodate bambino #6 upstairs, then the masses of stuff in the craft room need a new home.
Matt started scouting out sheds and then showed me what he had in mind.
This 10 x 16 monstrosity was bright red and bordered with white.
"That's not a shed," I said, "That's a barn!"
"It's not a barn!" he cried.
"Well, we've got the chickens," I said, "we may as well get the barn to go with 'em!"
He was a little affronted that I called it a barn, but after more shopping and price comparing, we went to purchase a shed and guess what the shed manufacturers call it...
A TALL BARN!!!
Haha!
Matt's come to terms with it, and now HE'S calling it "the barn" too. ;D
It will be installed on March 25th.
The configuration will be slightly different from what's pictured here, and I raided the manufacturer's supply of color swatches to figure out how we want it painted.
YES, it is a barn, but NO, it will NOT be fire engine red.
So my list of home-making projects this week includes assembling the composter, staining the garden beds (and maybe the playground,) assembling the garden beds, and scouting out paving stones to go around the garden beds and create a pathway to the shed door. It's an ambitious list, considering the fact that Lauren's School Play is this week, and I've got an old friend in town for a visit.
Ah well, it's good to have goals, because we farmers have to work from sun-up to sun-down. ;D
By the way, what time DOES the sun come up?
Oh ya, I have the chickens to tell me that - hahahahahahah!!!





Please please PLEASE paint it red with the white trim! Then every time I come to visit I'll feel like I'm visiting "the countryside" (said in a hick accent). Haha! Love you guys!!
ReplyDelete