I love using a job chart in our family. There's less arguing when everyone's assignment is in writing, and if someone whines, "I ALWAYS have to take out the garbage!" I can cheerful reply, "Nope, just this week." :D
However, every couple of years it becomes necessary to update our job chart. For months, I've been thinking of jobs that needed better management. For instance, Lauren has been cleaning the downstairs bathroom alone each week, while the 3 boys have been taking turns cleaning the upstairs one - not fair. Everyone seems to scatter after dinner, and that's when I'd like everyone to pitch in for a quick end-of-the-day-clean-up of the kitchen, dining room and living room. We seriously need to add chicken duties to the chart - though Lauren has been taking the lead on that so far.
When coordinating each block of assignments, I held a family meeting with the kids to make sure they didn't feel like any particular week was overloaded. We also talked about what each job entails and what's expected of the kids when they do it.
So here you have it, the new and improved Job Chart:
I designed this 8"x10" chart in Microsoft Publisher with some clip art and text boxes. The pictures are great for kids who are too young to read, and an easy reference for those who can. I included assignments for Family Home Evening, daily jobs and one-time weekend jobs. I created the job chart on one page and then the name wheel on another. After printing and trimming the chart and wheel, I ran the chart through my Xyron with lamination on the front and a magnetic layer on the back. This way, the chart sticks to my fridge without any problems. The name wheel was laminated and mounted to the chart with a simple brad.
These assignments last for a week and the name wheel is rotated on Sunday morning. The job chart also helps to facilitate other work related goals like "The Plan" I talked about in the Teaching Children to Work post. For instance, the meal helper can be included in planning meals, shopping, and preparing food according to their skill level or level in the "The Plan."
Of course, the kids aren't simply left to their own devices with these job chart assignments. I'm always nearby to supervise, help and inspect. It's a great way to teach, encourage and work together. Naturally, they still grumble sometimes - they're kids. However, I know they're learning and developing those important life skills they need, so I let the grumbling roll off me like water off a ducks back. I also realize how much I love watching my kids get better at a task, whether it's an improvement in skill or attitude, it's a beautiful thing.

I love it! You are so creative. I usually make a big chart every summer for my two older kids but now Aidan is getting old enough to do jobs, he is pitching in. I will have to do a blog sometime about how we do our jobs now. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteSo great! I used to always think that we (the kids) did ALL the work around the house and it left nothing for my mom to do! I almost laugh at the thought now and realize how much moms still have to do even with all the help from the kids! Can't wait til I can put my kids to work! :)
ReplyDelete