Thursday, February 3, 2011

The People Code

First and foremost, I want to thank all those who shared their thoughts last week about keeping your marriage strong. Your comments are wonderful and I greatly appreciated reading them. THANK YOU!!!

So this Thursday I'd like to discuss some of the ideas found in Dr. Taylor Hartman's "The People Code" (also published as the Color Code)

I am utterly fascinated by PEOPLE.
What makes them who they are?
And believing in our God-given agency the way I do, I thought I'd figured out the whole nature vs. nurture debate from my psychology classes...
I thought "It's nurture and agency all the way!"
And then I started 'nurturing' these five little people who occupy my every waking moment, and it has become so obvious that they come pre-wired with drives and ideas that I never put there (which can be both inspiring and terrifying.)

They definitely have their own 'nature,' so to speak. When my lovely sister-in-law, Betsy was reading this book a year or so ago, I asked if I could borrow it in hopes of understanding my children's natures a bit better.

This book is so captivating! I soon bought my own copy. My thinking is somewhat changed forever because of it. I meet people or think about people I've known for years and find myself looking to understand them better in terms of their "People Code."

I was actually a little skeptical when beginning this book, because I don't like the idea of stereo-typing people. People are dynamic - they change and grow all the time - and if this theory was suggesting that people are just stuck the way they were born and unable to progress, then I wasn't buying into it. But that isn't the message of The People Code. This book is about striving to understand people better, get along better with your spouse, parents, children, boss, neighbors, everybody!  It offers insights into building happier relationships and knowing where people are coming from.

Yes, this book says that people are born with a certain type of nature, identified in the people code by a color - RED, BLUE, WHITE & YELLOW. And that nature means they have a driving motive, and have common strengths and weaknesses. However, we are still unique and influenced by the people around us, and we have the capacity to LEARN the strengths of other natures and tame the weaknesses of our own. He calls it being Charactered and has written a follow-up book about it. GREAT STUFF!

So, here's a very brief overview of the people code.


  • RED (Motive: POWER)—These are the power wielders. Power: the ability to move from point A to point B and get things done, is what motivates and drives these people. They bring great gifts of vision and leadership and generally are responsible, decisive, proactive and assertive. 

  • BLUE (Motive: INTIMACY)—These are the do-gooders. Intimacy: connecting, creating quality relationships and having purpose, is what motivates and drives these people. They bring great gifts of quality and service and are generally loyal, sincere, and thoughtful.

  • WHITE (Motive: PEACE)—These are the peacekeepers. Peace: the ability to stay calm and balanced even in the midst of conflict, is what motivates and drives these people. They bring great gifts of clarity and tolerance and are generally kind, adaptable, and good-listeners.

  • YELLOW (Motive: Fun)—These are the fun lovers. Fun: the joy of living life “in the moment”, is what motivates and drives these people. They bring great gifts of enthusiasm and optimism and are generally charismatic, spontaneous, and sociable.



RED
BLUE
WHITE
YELLOW
Motive
Power
Intimacy
Peace
Fun
Needs
To look good (technically)
To be good (morally)
To feel good (inside)
To look good (socially)

To be right
To be understood
To be allowed their own space
To be noticed

To be respected
To be appreciated
To be respected
To be adored

Approval from a select few
Acceptance
Kindness
Approval from the masses
Wants
To hide insecurities (tightly)
To reveal insecurities
To withhold insecurities
To hide insecurities (loosely)

Productivity
Quality
Tolerance
Happiness

Leadership
Autonomy
Independence
Freedom

Challenging adventure
Security
Contentment
Playful adventure


I think I've identified my family members' colors.
Matt: Yellow        Candace: Blue
Lauren: White       Zach: Red
Gabe: Blue           Max: Yellow
Jared & Bambino #6: TBD 


And as my friends who are reading this, I'd love to know what YOUR color code is. This link will download a copy of the pdf questionnaire. 
THE HARTMAN PERSONALITY PROFILE

And if you've read this book or are familiar with the people code, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.
You see, this is my Blue craving for 'intimacy,' it means I really really really like to hear from YOU, and make all those wonderful connections. ;D

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I've got a book similar to this called the Color Code and taken the quiz and I am a Blue. I love the color code because it helps me understand people better. My daughter Kalli is a total yellow and Kael is a white. Most of my siblings are blue. this is a fascinating topic to me...thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so in the first part of the test I was even between white and yellow. But in the situational questions, I was overwhelmingly WHITE! So now my white is double my yellow score. I'm pretty sure Nate is BLUE. I somehow thought all Wright males were Red's :)

    I'm loving your new blog! I haven't been able to read every day lately, but since life has just slowed down significantly, I'll definitely be checking it on a daily basis. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, all Wright males are red. They have it in there, but they hide it sometimes. Don't be fooled :)

    I took this test awhile back and I really want to take it again. Last time I took it I was blue but followed close behind by white and red. What??? Me...red??? I know, I didn't even realize that was me.
    And then...of all things, Scott told me he would have guessed that I was a red. ???!!! I guess that people see me very different than I feel like I really am.
    PS. But being bossy to my siblings when I was younger doesn't count. I HAD to develop a little red back then because I was surrounded by fire red personalities. Maybe that red has stuck??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that you are so into this. When I first brought the book over, i thought you were just appeasing me, but it makes me so much happier to hear that you are loving this stuff as well!!!! I just have to say that I could have guessed pretty much all your family except Zach. I had no idea he was a red. I'll have to pay attention more at family outings i guess.

    As for me, I'm pretty sure you already know this, but I'm pretty mixed- blue red. Yup- I do have the Wright red in me, but I will say that I think that I don't have as much as all my older siblings (rachel included). Maybe not though...perhaps I have just as much, it just doesn't show up the same as their red traits.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...