Saturday, February 5, 2011

Spring & Summer Fashion Trends

I turned on the radio as I drove the kids to school this week and heard a story about fashion trends for 2011. I only caught the tail end, but it made me want to look into further. I found a fun website that compiled the trends for Spring & Summer of 2011 that will be hitting the stores soon.

I'll be honest, I'm not very fashion forward, but it's fun to have a few new fashion trends in my closet.  I'll just be including the trends I found interesting, and de-emphasizing or skipping the ones that don't interest me, like hot pants & crop tops (and yes, they're back.)

But a couple of trends are fun to note.

70's glamour is back...

"There's an underlying confidence to this trend that's key.  By day it's all about clean yet voluminous silhouettes, and earthy '70s colour palettes. Look for:
  • High waisted wide-leg pants or flares, smartly belted in.
  • Neat bow-blouses, especially ones with billowing or bishop sleeves. Particularly great are fabrics like silk and satin.
  • Roll neck sweaters tucked into pants or skirts. Add to the '70s effect by layering over beaded necklaces or a vest."



60's Ladylike is in...
"We're not talking about the later mod '60s movement of miniskirts and teeny shift dresses. We're talking about early '60s ladylike dressing that flowed on from the late 1950s. So say bonjour to fuller figures and longer hemlines."

 






"There are other options for a beautiful, early '60s look too. A straight cut sheath or pencil skirt create a 1960s hourglass shape - not only cinching in the waist, but clinging to the hips as well. 
  • Look for skirts that are straight, high waisted, below knee with a kick pleat or slit at the back.
  • You can also look for fitted sheath dresses. These are great with classic three-quarter sleeves.
  • The peg-top skirt is another alternative - full at the waist with small darts or pleats, and tapering narrowly to the hem."

And there's no shortage of ways to mix up your style because...

Punk & Biker looks are back too

 
Other things you'll see...
  • Lace, crochet & macrame clothing
  • Clogs & kitten heels
  • Bell bottoms and wide leg pants (so wide it looks like a skirt - Katherine Hepburn wore this style a lot in her movies)
  • Jumpsuits & playsuits (what were they thinking?!)
  • Tail hems: dresses longer in the back than the front
  • Stripe patterns
  • Tassels
HAIR TRENDS...
Long hair that looks effortless like this double knot
Wavy bobs or bobs with bangs




Pixie cuts

Hair color that is white blonde or bright red.

I don't know how many of these styles will make it into my closet, but it was sure fun to check them out. And I'm thinking that I need a few new skirts. ;D 
Happy Stylin' Saturday!







2 comments:

  1. Love this! I could totally dig the 60's Ladylike fashion, stripe patter (medium-big stripes), the lace, crochet, and macrame clothing, and I love the hair trends! I could not do the 70's look. Not my preference. And crop tops? What? Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH...I just knew it. I just knew that white hair would be 'in' some day--and that day is here! Eat your hearts out all of you brunettes.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...