Monday, February 7, 2011

Time Management

Yes, I know you're laughing hysterically at the thought of me posting about time management.

Clearly this blog is a tool for focusing on my needs for improvement. If you know me, you know that I'm frequently 5 or more minutes late.  I try to be on time - I really do TRY!!! It's just that I was born a week late, and I swear it's thrown me off schedule ever since! ;D

But, enough excuses. The time is overdue for me to get this part of my life in order.

So, super-readers, what do we do when we have a problem?

We LOOK in a BOOK!!!

Did you know I invented the show "Super-why?" Just like Al Gore invented the internet.

What was I talking about? Oh ya! Time Management... Do you see the problem?
I'm easily distracted. And I live with 6 delightful and sometimes infuriating distractions,
and last week, we were late for EVERYTHING! I'm feeling rather pathetic about it, so I decided to review one of my favorite books:

Time Management from the Inside Out, by Julie Morgenstern.

The lovely Ms. Morgenstern says that people who are chronically late don't mean to be rude, but they just tend to fall into these categories...

1. The "I-didn't-think-of-that-ers" who don't fully comprehend how long it takes to get somewhere or accomplish a task. They know their appointment starts at 9 am, but they didn't think of how long it REALLY takes to drive there, they didn't think of traffic, and they didn't think of the time to load kids, park, walk, use the elevator, etc.

2. The "Nothing-to-Do-Panic-ers!" They can't stand the thought of sitting around with nothing to do, so they try to do "one more thing" before going out the door, and hope that they'll arrive exactly on time. Then, of course, their "one more thing" takes longer than expected and they're late.

When I first got this book, I sadly fell into BOTH of these categories,  For example, I used to think it should take 10 minutes to get ready for the pool. WRONG!!! So wrong!  It takes us 30 minutes: 5 for dressing, 5 for gathering supplies, 15 for slathering sun screen on everyone, and 5 to load the van.

Next we have "nothing to do panic." Even as I type this, the thought of arriving at a meeting early and sitting there for 10 minutes with nothing to do, makes my eyes fling wide and I gasp for breath.  As the hyperventilating begins, I think... How will I keep the kids entertained and not climbing on the walls? What about my giant "To Do" list that cries out to me as I JUST SIT THERE?!?! I will go INSANE from the unproductivity and BOREDOM!!! Aaaaahhhhahhhaahah!!!!

You can tell, this is still a problem.

But Ms. Morgenstern has some wonderful suggestions for the chronically unpunctual and overloaded "To Do-ers" like me.

  • Time how long it takes to do things: People tend to think that tasks they enjoy take no time at all (i.e. You think calling your friend will take 10 minutes, but you always gab for an hour.) People also think that tasks they don't enjoy will take a LONG time. (Picture Max being told to clean his room when all he has to do is put his pajamas away and make his bed, and he cries, "That will take a MILLION years!!!") So we dive into the 'fun' tasks and procrastinate the disliked ones, without comprehending the real time involved. 
Timing your activities is a great tip for planning every part of your day! When you know how long it takes to get things done (and you can even factor in the 10 interruptions from your kids.) Then you can plan your days so much more effectively. You can STOP overloading the 'To Do' list and dump the guilt, because you recognize that there are only 16 waking hours of the day, and you won't get past 'To Do #5.'
  • To overcome 'nothing-to-do-panic' Bring Something To Do: keep your purse stocked with little things to do like a set of note cards, a book, a crossword, an ipod, a phone, or just SOMETHING to quell the panic. And then you'll feel liberated to get out of the door on time (or gasp - early!) and know that you've got something to occupy your mind and time. 
Ahhhhhhhhh, my breathing is starting to regulate already, and I'm filled with all sorts of punctual desires!

So, my goal for this week is... BE ON TIME! I'll have to give you a report on Friday.

3 comments:

  1. OK...LOVE IT!! This is one thing that I learned from my mom as a teenager and then totally forgot how to do as a young mother. I am trying to remember all the things that my mom told us and showed us how to do when it comes to time management. One thing that I have started lately (that I learned from my mom) is the "7 minute rule". She would always ask "What can you get done in 7 minutes". Of course, as a teenager, I would think that I could barely even get up the stairs to my room, let alone clean it in seven minutes. But there is SOOOO much you can do! When I am feeling unproductive and need a little boost, I set the timer for seven minutes and just work, work, work until the timer goes off. Then I can switch gears or take a break. But I almost always get something little done (write a note, send an email, clean a drawer, dust and vacuum a room) or if it is a big task (clean the mound of dishes in the sink) I always get enough done that the next time I come around, the task is much more manageable! Thanks for the tips Candace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay maybe I should read this book because I am definitely a "I-didn't-think-of-that-er"! And Rach, I think the 7 minute things is a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing! (And props to Mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your sister, I do both of these. I have gotten better at the first, but the second kills me s well. As a told you before, I am a red that thrives on productivity. To just sit there and do nothing, pert near kills me and rick always jokes with me and says "Are you ready to go? or do you need to switch the laundry, do the dishes, pick up the toys and put dinner in the crock pot?" He's right. I don't do all of those, but our laundry room is right by or garage door so I am very guilty of switching a load on my way out. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...