Our life is weird!
I find myself coming up with ideas to handle situations that I never imagined would confront me as a parent. For instance, Matt's traveling has had a real impact on our family, but we just have to make the best of it. While Matt will tell me about his travel plans and send me email with itineraries, he and I have done a TERRIBLE job in communicating these travel plans to the kids.
I get questions like this from the kids on a daily basis...
"Where's Dad?"
"Is Dad HERE?"
"Do I set a place for Dad at dinner?"
"When will Dad be home?"
And I cringe with guilt when I tell them belatedly, "Oh, he flew to New York last night. You'll see him on Friday." Guilt. Guilt. Guilt.
I needed to find a way to let them know Matt's travels ahead of time, and I can't exactly forward itineraries to their email! But I also don't want them growing up thinking, "My dad was always gone, and no one ever bothered to tell me where he was!" Aaarrrgh!!! Guilt. Guilt. Guilt.
I kept thinking of a computer game I played as a kid...
Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego?
And then I thought,
"I need a tracking device for Where in the World is Daddy?"
You see how weird we are!
Anyway, this is what I came up with...
I found a map and made this chart. Laminated it.
Taped it to the fridge and update it according to his schedule.
I fill in the city where he'll be.
Mark the city on the map.
Circle the days of the week that he'll be gone.
So, now at least the kids can see what's going on and count down the days 'til his return.
I can't say that it'll make life easier without him, but at least the kids will have some
foreknowledge of his travels, and
know that we cared enough to communicate this with them.
foreknowledge of his travels, and
know that we cared enough to communicate this with them.
sigh...
Hopefully we'll make it through all of this without the need for therapy.
Hopefully we'll make it through all of this without the need for therapy.

That is such a great idea! I wish I would have thought of something like that. You are always coming up with such great visuals and helpful charts. I am always impressed with your creativity.
ReplyDeleteYou amaze me everyday! What a great idea!
ReplyDelete