Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

Well, I've fallen behind (you knew it was going to happen.) Life got hectic, and I was busy WORKING on a project instead of blogging about it. So the next question is, "Do I try to play catch-up?" or "Do I just let it go and move forward?" ... hmmm... If I start playing the 'catch-up' game, I think I'll always feel overwhelmed and behind. I just realized this will likely happen again, since I won't be blogging from Hawaii (unless I'm just posting pictures,) and I seriously doubt I'll be blogging from the hospital when this baby comes. SO,

Blogging By-law #3: ... Dump the guilt, pick-up the blog on the returning date, and keep moving forward.

I feel better already :D

BEEF STROGANOFF
                 by Zonya Foco

*Who new there could be a "light" recipe for beef stroganoff. This is very flavorful, Zach said at dinner tonight, "Mom, this is Divine!" I'll often make a double batch of the meat and freeze the leftovers for a handy meal.
  • 2 1/2 lbs. lean steak, fat trimmed, & cubed
  • 1 onion, sliced thinly
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, washed and sliced
  • 10 oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup (Campbell's Healthy Request)
  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 3/4 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 3 Tbsp. corn starch
  • 1/3 cup Marsala cooking wine (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups light sour cream
  • 12 oz. bag of whole wheat egg noodles
  • 24 oz. bag frozen mixed vegetables
  1. Spray a medium size slow cooker (I think mine is 4 quarts) with cooking spray, and put the steak in the bottom and around the sides. Fill in the center with mushrooms and sliced onion. 
  2. In a seperate bowl, mix the soup, water, bouillon, spices, corn starch and Marsala (optional.)
  3. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 1/2 - 5 hrs. or low for 9 - 10 hrs.
  4. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, boil water and cook the noodles according to package directions. 
  5. Add frozen vegetables to the boiling noodles during the last minute. Drain and set aside.
  6. When the meat mixture is done cooking, stir in the light sour cream. 
  7. Serve meat sauce over noodle and vegetable mixture. Enjoy!
Nutrition information for 1 cup of meat sauce over 1 cup of noodles and veggies:
  403 calories,     39 g Carbs,    39 g protein,    6 g fiber,    9 g fat,     



1 comment:

  1. Yum I'll have to try this one! I did miss your postings but you are so right...dump the guilt and keep going!!! I have really enjoyed your posts and it has inspired me to try and blog more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...